[BLDG-SIM] Complex shading device in Ecotect

ruju rathod ruju_r at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 13:30:09 PDT 2007

Dear All,
As a new user to Ecotect, I would like to know how to model a complex shading device.

  I have started by creating a box that is 11' wide and 20'long. The box is 14' in height and has concrete-asphalt on the roof and concrete slab on ground for the floor. The walls are timber frame except the south wall which is single glazed_alum frame.
  I would like to find out the shading percentage on a particular day of an integrated system which includes overhangs or external louvres at unequal spacing or angled louvres supported by fins on either side.

  The shading mask seems to believe that the window is 100% shaded at all times. However, in a climate like Houston which is the site for this Ecotect experiment and the device including 12 inch fins on either side and 12 inch depth overhangs above 10ft from the floor is certainly inadequate.

  Please feel free to send your suggestions.

  Thanks,
  Ruju.

Ruju Rathod
M.S(Sustainable Design)