[BLDG-SIM] New Calculation method for Baseline Fan Energy in Addendum R

Michael Rosenberg Michael.Rosenberg at state.or.us
Wed Oct 24 21:10:47 PDT 2007

Bill,

You are doing it correctly.

Mike

Michael Rosenberg
Oregon Department of Energy
625 Marion St. N.E.
Salem, OR 97301-3742
Phone : (503) 373-7809
Fax: (503) 373-7806

>>> "Bill Talbert" <btalbert at aeieng.com> 10/24/2007 9:39:25 AM >>>
Andrew,
I believe you are referencing addenum 'r' to ASHRAE 90.1-2007, and
yes,
it appears to be a typo. I have not seen the official 90.1-2007
version
other than in the public review draft for addendum r, but a previous
proposed revision to Appendix G (see attached excerpt from a LEED CIR)
shows CFMs being multiplied by the coefficient before being added to A
(which are the pressure credits per 90.1-2004 addendum 'ac' that is
available on the ASHRAE website). This is the method I have been
using...Is there an easier way? Not that I'm aware of, but I'd love to
know if anyone else is interpreting this differently.
Bill

Bill Talbert, PE, LEED® AP
Mechanical Systems
Phone: (608) 441-6677
E-mail: btalbert at aeieng.com

Affiliated Engineers Inc.
5802 Research Park Blvd.
Madison, WI. 53719
Tel. (608) 238-2616
Fax. (608) 238-2614

>>> "Andrew Craig" <andrew_c at ieice.com> 10/24/2007 10:55 AM >>>

I was wondering if anyone out there can explain the new calculation
shown for baseline fan brake horsepower in Table G3.1.2.9 of Addendum
to ASHRAE 90.1-2004?  At first glance, the equation doesn’t make
sense
because you are subtracting a relatively small number (0.0013+A) from
large number (CFMs) leaving you with a ridiculously large baseline fan
motor brake horsepower.  Am I just reading this wrong or is there a
typo?  Isn’t there an easier way out there to calculate baseline fan
energy (please see version 1 of Appendix G for another confusing
calculation)?
Andrew Craig, EIT, LEED® AP | Mechanical Designer
INTERFACE ENGINEERING
708 SW Third Avenue| Suite400| Portland, OR 97204
direct: 503.382.2696
office: 503.382.2266
fax: 503.382.2262
email: Andrew_C at ieice.com
web: www.ieice.com
Consultants of Choice to the Built Environment for over 35 years
Kirkland, WA | Portland, OR | Sacramento, CA | Salem, OR |
SanFrancisco, CA