[BLDG-SIM] eQuest Default f(PLR) Skepticism

Kevin Madison kevinjm5000 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 08:44:45 PDT 2007

You are too generous Mike. I should heed my own advice on the
documentation. Thanks for clarifying this.

I also thought and consulted a colleague (thanks Steve) on Taylor's
chiller question:

For chillers, the second term in EIRf(PLR,dT) is important only for
variable-speed centrifugal chillers. It is of negligible importance in
other types of chillers. It is important in variable-speed, because the
temperature differential is strongly correlated with the required speed
of the impeller. If the dT is high enough, then the impeller may have to
run at full speed even at low loads. The DOE-2 default curves are just
that, defaults. Some folks find it necessary to create new curves to
reflect their specific equipment. Cautions offered
* verify the conditions (condenser/evaprator) for efficiencies at lower
part loads are the same as for above 50%
* make sure the points are normalized around the rating condition

Sorry for my hasty response.

Kevin Madison