[BLDG-SIM] Simulating Radiant Cooling

Zhen Tian tianzhen9 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 09:24:14 PDT 2007

Hi, Jeremy,

  I would suggest you to simulate radiant cooling in eQUEST by using fan-coil system. You need to remove the fan energy use in the fan coil unit. Additional make-up system is needed for ventilation. The pump head needed to be adjust to mimic the pump energy use increase in radiant cooling.

  Regards,

  David Tian

Jeremy Plitt <jeremy.plitt at setty.com> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Hello everyone,

  I¡¯m attempting to model radiant cooling with eQuest 3-6. You cannot actually model it in eQuest (to my knowledge) so I¡¯m trying to ¡°trick¡± the program.

  First, I¡¯m simulating a VAV system with a chilled water loop for cooling and then obtain the cooling load on the chiller. Second, I simulate a VAV system with only outside air ventilation to meet code. There are exhaust fans in each room to replace the return fan which I removed. From the second simulation I obtain the cooling load on the chiller which is from the cooling of the outside air. Third, I subtract the first model¡¯s chiller cooling load by the second model¡¯s chiller cooling load to obtain what would be the cooling load taken up by radiant ceiling cooling panels.

  In theory, the radiant cooling panels¡¯ load would be much larger than the outside air cooling load. However, my calculations are telling me that the outdoor air load is larger than the radiant cooling panels¡¯ load. Also, in the second simulation, I have reduced the amount of supply air by 80% because only outdoor air is being supplied to the building. Therefore, my fan power consumption should decrease by 80% as well. My results tell me however that the fans¡¯ energy consumption has only decreased by 10%.

  Would anyone know of a reason why my results don¡¯t make any sense?? The majority of my inputs for the two simulations are the same except for where it is necessary to vary them.

  Thanks,

    Jeremy Plitt
  Mechanical Engineer

  Setty & Associates, Ltd.