[BLDG-SIM] ERV energy use in eQuest and economizers

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:16:23 PDT 2007

Ok, so there have been a couple post recently asking about energy savings
from ERV's in eQuest.  The concern is that there is some reduction in
cooling and heating energy use, but a significant increase in fan energy
use.

Here's my thought:  in the baseline case, the only energy expended with
respect to ventilation air is the energy required to heat and cool the
outdoor air, but the fan energy to move the ventilation air through ductwork
is not represented.  (If someone knows where to put this number, or how to
represent it, please let me know).  Any other thoughts/suggestions out
there?

I am trying to get to the bottom of this as well, because so far, according
to eQuest, installing an ERV has not made much sense.

Also, is there a way to turn off the airside economizer?  I'm modeling a
building with heat pumps.  There is an ERV for ventilation, but no
economizer.

Thanks,
~Karen~

--