[BLDG-SIM] Air Cooled Chiller Performance Curve

Ian Doebber Ian.Doebber at arup.com
Mon Sep 10 23:00:38 PDT 2007

For the Chiller EIR input, below is the equation to calculate the EIR
based on the Part Load Ratio.  I am modeling air cooled chillers.

What is "r1" and "dT" refer to?  I'm assuming that "r1" is the actual
cooling load divided by the maximum cooling capacity based on the
condenser temperature (ambient dry bulb temperature) and "dT" is the
difference between the chilled water supply and return temperature
(which is 10 with 44 supply and 54 return).  I'm getting numbers that
are extremely low especially for low PLRs.  I would think that the
maximum efficiency would be around 40-60% PLR but am not seeing this.

BI-QUADRATIC-RATIO&dT        The curve is bi-quadratic in 2 independent
variables. It has the form

                                  f(r1,dT) = c1 + c2*r1 + c3*r12 + c4*dT
+ c5*dT2 + c6*r1*dT,

                                  where c1, c2, c3, c4, c5, and c6 are
coefficients. R1 is a dimensionless variable. dT is a variable with
units of delta temperature.

Ian