[BLDG-SIM] An eQUEST mailing list?

Ellis, Peter Peter_Ellis at nrel.gov
Tue Sep 25 14:55:26 PDT 2007

I've been listening to both sides of this thread, and I have to say I
kind of agree with both!  Yeah, it does get a little burdensome to get
all of the eQUEST/DOE2-related questions in my mail box because I'm not
a user of those programs.  But sometimes it IS hard to separate the
general modeling questions from the program specific ones.  And it can
be informative to see what the other programs are up to as well.

My proposal is to move BLDG-SIM to a forum format.  There's some
powerful--and widely used--software out there these days for managing
web-based forums.  I think most forum programs offer standard features
like dedicated topics, searching of threads, customizable interface,
etc.  I'm sure most of us have run across this type of web-based forum
before.

To address our specific problems, it seems like it would make sense to
have a dedicated topic for eQUEST on there, as well as topics for
"General Simulation Questions", "LEED", "ASHRAE 90.1", and I'm sure
several others would be appropriate too..."Simulation Interfaces"...who
knows...  Usually the forum software will let you put in hyperlinks to
posts in other threads as well.  So if one post in the "eQUEST" topic is
also relevant in a "General Simulation Questions" thread, someone can
post a hyperlink cross-reference.

Otherwise, if BLDG-SIM were to not go the forum route, I would vote for
an eQUEST-only mailing list.