[BLDG-SIM] {Spam:6} CAD importing?

Ryan Hammond RHammond at gb-eng.com
Tue Sep 11 08:36:12 PDT 2007

Mojtaba,

I find it helpful to start off with the Design Development Wizard.  Go
to the main Project Navigator window, and there you'll find a Bldg Shell
Components section.  You can create new shells, edit, or delete.  These
are the separate floors for your building.

Select Create New Shell, and go to Window 2 (2 of 25).  Click on the
drop down for Footprint and select -custom- and follow the directions on
importing your CAD file.  Make sure the CAD file is saved as a R14
version.  You'll have to play around with things from here, but that's
about it.

Once you have your footprint mapped out, then layout your zones.  Follow
the similar procedure for importing the CAD file and zoning it.
Remember you need to go in counterclockwise to map a zone (you'll see).

Regarding a curved wall, to my knowledge, eQUEST can't model curves
exactly, but can very closely by connecting a number of small segments
together to mimic the curve.  Should be a good enough approximation.

Hope this works out for you.  If this is your first time importing CAD
and laying out the zones, give yourself a some time to get used to it
and try out the different features.  Very useful stuff overall.

R. Ryan Hammond, LEEP(r) AP
Designer

G U T T M A N N & B L A E V O E T | C o n s u l t i n g  E n g i n e e r
1111 Howe Ave Suite 155 |   Sacramento, CA 95825
Committed to 2030 Challenge

Direct 916.921.1981 | Main           916.921.1956   |        Fax
916.921.1921|         www.gb-eng.com

City Certified Green Business, San Francisco | 2007 Sacramento
Sustainable Business of the Year Award Recipient
San Francisco |   Sacramento