[BLDG-SIM] eQuest -- do I have to go back to wizard?

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Tue Sep 11 05:51:11 PDT 2007

That is my nightmare situation -- whether to go forward or backwards.
It is definitely easier to create zones in the wizard mode, but it can
certainly be done in the detailed mode.  The question is how many
changes have you done in detailed mode and how easily can they be
reincorporated if you go back to the wizard.

Path 1 - adding zone in wizard mode:
Save your current model with a new name.  Plant changes are easy to
reincorporate into the model -- you can go to the .inp file of your
current model in a text editor and save your boiler and chiller etc.
definitions as a separate (partial) .inp file and then import that
.inp file after you have added the zones in wizard mode.  You can do
the same with the air side equipment but it becomes trickier.  This is
the path I choose most often.

Path 2 - adding zone in detailed mode:
You may need to create the polygon to define the new space.  Then
define the space.  Add each of the walls (actually this is quicker
than you would expect using the "location" field -- the trick is
learning which vertex to associate each wall with).  Create the
thermal zone and associate it with the space. Possibly delete exterior
walls in adjacent spaces (or redefine their parent space to the new
space.  Possibly create interior partitions between the new and
existing spaces (I tend to be lazy and not create these unless there
is a significant temperature difference between them.)

Use caution and go slow -- the above is certainly not a comprehensive
list, just thoughts that might help whichever way you go.

Note that there is a neat list here:

http://elcca-exchange.blogspot.com/2006/11/equest-wizard-checklist.htm
 of things to make sure of before making the jump from wizard to
detailed mode (not that that helps now!).

Good luck!