[Bldg-sim] VSD Chiller Curves

Steven Gates steve.gates at doe2.com
Tue Apr 1 17:28:24 PDT 2008

It's the differential between the entering condenser water temperature and
the leaving chilled water temperature.

Savings for chillers with VFDs are dependent on the pressure rise the
impellor must overcome.  Maximum savings accrue if the dT is low when the
load is low.  If the cooling tower is running warm when the load is low,
then the impellor may have to run at close to full speed to produce the
required pressure rise and avoid surge.  The dT term takes that effect into
account.

  _____