[Bldg-sim] VRV systems

Haider Khan haidermkhan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:33:11 PDT 2008

A quasi DOE2 approach would be to calculate the hourly system loads using
DOE2 and calculate VRV energy consumption using spreadsheet calculations.
You will have to create a regression based model to calculate the energy
consumption as a function of the capacity and outdoor air temperature (The
data is available on Mr. Slim website). Once you are sure the model is
working correctly (be sure to put limits on your equations for out of range
data) you can use the hourly weather boundary conditions to calculate the
annual energy consumption.

If  you are doing code compliance using eQUEST you can calculate the average
calibrated EER using the above methodology and use it as a DOE2 input.

Best Regards,
Haider M. Khan, MSME

ICF International
9300 Lee Highway,