[Bldg-sim] PTAC and PTHP EER, fan energy

Michael Tillou michael.tillou at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:15:45 PDT 2008

The issue is slightly more complicated for unitary equipment over 5 tons
because the ARI 340/360 testing standard for determining the EER of larger
unitary equipment has pre-defined limits on the allowed fan ESP during test
conditions.  If you are simulating packaged equipment that is designed with
higher external fan static pressures than required by ARI 340/360 and you
use the as-designed fan power or fan power allowed by ASHRAE90.1 for
calculating "Cooling-Only" EER,  you will over-estimate cooling energy
savings.  This issues applies to Appendix G baseline systems 3,4,5 and 7 and
any as-designed equipment whose performance is covered by ARI 340/360 (see
minimum efficiency tables in Chapter 6 of ASHRAE 90).

For packaged equipment over 5 tons you should estimate fan power at the ARI
340/360 test conditions when separating EER into fan and cooling energy
components rather than using rated fan power or the ASHRAE fan power
allowance.

Mike

Michael Tillou, PE, LEED
P: 413-458-9870 C: 413-652-1087