[Bldg-sim] Unusual Decrease in Heating Demand

Don Lipinski DonL at auseea.com
Thu Aug 21 09:11:32 PDT 2008

I am modeling a core and shell building for LEED.  The baseline has a significant heating demand (kW), but in my design the heating demand is largely decreased causing a 10.5% kWh energy savings but a 24.8% cost savings with kW at $14 per.   In the baseline I am auto sizing packaged rooftop VSD with electric heat with EER 10.9.  With the design I am modeling DX coil, water cooled condenser, VSD with EER 14.57.  In the design I do have an ERV enthalpy wheel exchanging 6100 cfm (about half of the entire OA to the building).  In the baseline I have 50% fenestration, and in the design have 67% fenestration.  The only explanation for the decreased heating demand is the ERV, more solar load due to more glazing then baseline, or modeling error.  Anybody have any ideas?