[Bldg-sim] Spam:Re: LEED modeling requirements for existingbuildings

Michael Tillou michael.tillou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 06:15:17 PDT 2008

Jay,

It is my understanding that that is the correct interpretation.

However, I don't think Eric's interpretation that the baseline rotation
requirement does not apply to existing buildings is correct. Let me explain
why I disagree.

Requirement f in Part 5 of Table 3.1 refers specifically to the baseline
building design (note the italics which signify that a phrase or word is
defined in Section 3 of the Standard) while Requirement a in Part 5 of Table
3.1 refers specifically to the baseline building performance (again in
italics).  The baseline building design is not the same as the baseline
building performance and therefore Requirement f. cannot supercede
Requirement a in any case.

One last comment about the equal window distribution.  ASHRAE  90.1-2004
Addendum a removes the equal distribution requirement for windows in the
baseline.  If you're working on a LEED project I suggest you consider
adopting Addendum a to avoid this requirement.  USGBC has allowed the use of
ASHRAE 90.1-2004 addenda.  If you do decide to adopt Addendum a remember
that USGBC requires that you incorporate all the changes included in the
Addenddum.  Addendum a has a total of eight changes to Appendix G, most
important of which are the changes to the calculation of the baseline HVAC
system types.

regards,

Mike

Michael Tillou, PE, LEED