[Bldg-sim] Spam:Re: LEED NC Submittal Template, Heating/Cooling Hours Loads Not Met

gaurav mehta gmehta75 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:19:11 PDT 2008

There are two things that need to be separated.

   1. What are the Appendix G requirements for "unmet load hours"
   2. Where does one find the information from the output report of the
   software?

1. Appendix G requirements

The main purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the equipment is not
undersized and does not result in too high unmet load hours. Undersized
equipment consumes less energy along with resulting in large unmet load
hours (depending upon the location). Moreover, if the difference between the
baseline and proposed unmet load hours is high, it can either penalize or
benefit the savings (hence the requirement that the difference shall not
exceed 50 hours between the baseline and proposed case).

When one sizes equipment, it is done for the worse case scenario, meaning if
it can meet the loads of the worst zone then it would be able to meet the
loads of other zones. Therefore, looking at the worst zone would make sense.

Having said that, one also needs to keep in mind, there are various building
types using a variety of HVAC systems that use Appendix G. Some are 24/7
facilities and some are schools or offices, etc. Some use zonal systems and
some have an AHU per floor or one AHU for the whole building. I am not an
authority on Appendix G, however, to me it seems appropriate that the
Appendix G requirement is for the whole project and not for the worse zone.

For a large project, with large number of zones, the total unmet
cooling/heating hours can well exceed 8760. If this is what the simulation
results show then it is an indication-either the system is highly undersized
or there is something wrong with how the system has been modeled or both!

As a practice, I always look at the SS-R reports and add the unmet cooling
hours for the whole project and I maintain them well below 300 and similarly
I add all the unmet heating hours and maintain the total well below 300 for
the whole project. And I also make sure that the difference between both the
proposed and baseline is below 50 fro both heating and cooling. I formed
this habit when I was single and I didn't have a life. Although I am married
now, but I still maintain this habit (till my wife threatens to abandon me!)

2. Output from the simulation software (eQuest)

The BEPS/ BEPU reports show the worst zone scenario. Please look at SS-R
report; identify the worse zone- (the zone which has the largest unmet load
hours, determined by adding the unmet cooling and heating hours). Add unmet
cooling hours and unmet heating hours of this zone, divide this number by
the Total Run Hours also shown on the SS-R report and calculate the
percentage. The same percentage is reported on the BEPS/ BEPU reports as
"Percent of Hours Any System Zone Outside of Throttling Range".

The total run hours in the SS-R report equal the hours the fan operate (for
a typical office building the fans run 11 hours each day from 7am to 6pm).
Typically it would be ~2761 hours and not 8760 hours based upon the
following formula:

11hrs * 5 days/week * 52 weeks a year – 11hrs * # of holidays + # of hours
during the unoccupied hrs when fans turn on to maintain setback temperature.

Thanks and Happy Friday!

Best regards,

Gaurav Mehta