[Bldg-sim] GSHP in hot climate

Dan Nall dannall at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 8 10:26:37 PDT 2008

The ground temperature is not a constant if it is subjected to heat fluxes from a local underground source such as a geoexchanger.  think of the ground as a large thermal storage medium, with fluxes at its extreme bottom and top boundaries.  At the bottom is the hot core of the earth.  At the top is the fluctating air temperature and radiant flux at the surface.  In general, the average temperature below ground is going to be approximately the average sol-air temperature of the surface.  The deeper you go, the smaller is the variation over time, and the more delayed is that variation from what is going on at the surface.  At a few meters below the surface, temperature variation is very small.  Deeper still, the temperature will begin to rise. With a geoexchanger, however, local heat flux from gthe device can cause significant variations in temperature. If seasonal flux is not balanced, over time, the ground local to the geoexchanger will conform to a new equilibrium temperature, sufficiently variant from the "average" subterranean temperature to disperse that local heat flux into the surrounding earth.  Given that the thermal conducitivity of "earth" is not enormous, that temperature differential could be quite large.

Ground source heatpumps were initially very popular in Phoneix. Within a year or two, they "heat soaked' the ground surrounding their wells, and the heat pumps ceased operating.  Most of them ahve been abandoned, or supplemented by evaporative heat rejection devices.

Think of geoexchangers as annual thermal storage devices, not as unlimited heat sources or sinks.