[Bldg-sim] Simulation Calibration

Dave Robison drobison at teleport.com
Thu Aug 28 13:58:24 PDT 2008

There is an easier way to get a calibrated simulation. Our firm
provides EZSim -- a simplified simulation model developed
specifically to calibrate to monthly utility bills. If one does not
have interval or submetered data, why develop a model in more detail
than you have data to support? EZSim computes one monthly result at
the whole building level and uses actual (not TMY) weather data.  See
http://www.ezsim.com/

Model fit can be quite good. The specification of  "5% of annual" is
not meaningful in a statistical sense. I prefer to specify in terms
of MSE. Note that the savings estimate is based on comparing two
years (actual and baseline) so the standard errors add in quadrature.
What does this mean? Monthly modeling at MSE of 5% gives an annual
consumption estimate with MSE of 2%. Comparing two years for a
savings estimate results in MSE of 5% of annual applied to the
difference. A 90% Confidence Limit is .96 SE so we have a savings
estimate of +/- 5%. Not too bad -- given that we should be looking at
savings of, say 30%, a 5% confidence band is adequate. If you are
looking at measures with smaller savings, there is not sufficient
resolution. All this can be done very inexpensively using utility
bills as the measurement in an hour or less.

The IMPVP referenced by FEMP and LEED fails to provide an adequate
explanation or discussion if these precision issues. As far as I
know, EZSim is the only modeling tool that reports MSE of the
calibration fit and allows for confidence estimates. The caveat is
that is does not explicitly provide for the myriad of design options
available in a detailed model. However, the model can be tuned to
match any other model. Note that it does so only at the monthly
energy level, not at the hourly level.

David Robison
Stellar Processes
1033 SW Yamhill Suite 405