[Bldg-sim] PVAVS System In Equest - 15, 000 hours out side of throttle range

James Geers jgeers at sfa-architects.com
Fri Dec 12 06:30:52 PST 2008

I am an Architect doing the energy model for a number of two story schools
over 85,000 SF, and using eQuest for LEED  energy design and documentation.

I am doing the energy model for LEED compliance and I am modeling the base
case with a Packaged Rooftop Variable Air Volume System to compare with my
VAV system for the design case.  I reverse engineered my design case to
modify the mechanical system, but all of  the simulations indicate I have
15,000 hours outside of the throttle range.  My hotwater loop has two
boilers and my heating coils are assigned to the loop, but there does not
seem to be any output from the system.  The system report summary indicates
that it is not serving any square footage, so I think there is a bug
somewhere. I have fiddled with the THROTTLE RANGE, HEAT-CONTROL,
COOL-CONTROL, HEAT-SET-T,  and MIN-SUPPLY-T after reading various posts but
nothing changes the lack of heat.  I've also fiddled with baseboard heat and
pre-heat but nothing seems to affect the hours outside of throttle range.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

JG