[Bldg-sim] Window Heat gain - Shading Coefficient

Pallavi Mantha Pallavi.mantha at som.com
Thu Dec 18 09:04:37 PST 2008

All,

I need to calculate shading coefficient of a window glass with and without the effect of a shading fin. I could not find any software that does this for me so this is how I'm trying to calculate it: Calculate window heat gain for both cases from Eplus and then perform a manual calculation to get shading coefficient of the window. Since the shading coefficient is the ratio of solar heat gain admitted through the glass as compared to the solar heat gain admitted through 1/8" clear glass (1/8" clear glass = 1.0 Shading Coefficient) under similar conditions... so If I simulate the base case as 1/8" clear glass... and then calculate the ratio.. I should get my result... (?)

Did anyone of you face this kind of a scenario before? Can you please shed some light on this?
Would you know of any tools that does this kind of simulation?
Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pallavi