[Bldg-sim] Humidity control in museums

Shawn fwdbker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:37:04 PST 2008

Hi All,

We are working on an eQUEST simulation for a meseum. Three systems have
humidifiers in the air handlers and side stream dehumidifiers. The
humidifiers add moistures by blowing compressed air with water into the
supply air stream, instead of directly injecting water steam. One of the
three dehumidifiers uses gas and the other two use electricity. The relative
humidity (RH) has to be controlled within 20% to 30%. However, couple
problems came out.

1. There is no compressed-air type humidifier in eQUEST.

2. The humidifiers we specified (any humidifier type available in eQUEST)
did not seem to work because for two systems, the RH falls below the
controlled range for most of the hours.

3. On dehumidification side, we used "add-on desiccant" tab to plug in the
dehumidifier. But the "SOL-VENT-AIR-1" type dehumidifier type did not work
at all no matter how we played with the input parameters, including the air
flow rate through the desiccant unit as a fraction of the design supply air
flow rate of the system, the outside air ratio, and so forth.

4. After we changed the desiccant system type to "LIQ-VENT-AIR-1" for all
three systems, the humidity control worked for one system, but another one
still have RH higher than the specified maximum RH value in a lot of hours.

Anyone knows why humidity control did not seem to work in this project? Any
thought is appreciated!

Thanks.

Shawn

*Nexant, Inc.*