[Bldg-sim] CAD imports

Alison Christensen alisonc at pae-engineers.com
Fri Feb 22 17:15:08 PST 2008

Hello everyone,

I need help on CAD imports into eQUEST.   I would like to be able to
take any CAD file, make a pline line around the perimeter and import
that.   What I am unsure of is if coordinates need to match in CAD and
eQUEST.  What are the prerequisites for importing CAD and not getting
BDL or standard writing file error.  Recently I started a model, which
was not drawn by me in CAD.  The zones weren't matching and when I tried
to multiply floors, I got some serious issues.  Some walls disappeared.
The floors were all off of each other.  Each time I tried to open or
iterate the model more errors showed up.

When you check coordinates in the custom drawing "pad" to make sure they
are on the same point, say (0,0)  (0,80) (80,80) (80,0), to make sure
the floors are right on, what must you do?  Do you have to snap to
polygon and get the coordinates matched?  If one Cad floorplan is in a
different part of the coordinate system than it's underlaying floor,
what should you do?  Do you have to check some part of CAD coordinates,
which I find perplexing.

Has anyone had gliches with this?

Thanks,

Bldng sin