[Bldg-sim] question involving ashrae 90.1 and e-quest modeling

Christopher Sturdivant csturdiv at rmf.com
Thu Feb 28 12:38:02 PST 2008

Good Afternoon,

I have some quick questions about the DOE e-quest software:

1.  According to ASHRAE 90.1 you are supposed to model the conditioned
spaces in a building to simulate heating and cooling even if the
proposed design doesn't call for heating.  The system(s) in question is
connected to a chilled water loop from a central energy plant but the
space calls for no heating and the central energy plant does not have
boilers, it has only chillers, pumps, and cooling towers.  Therefore how
do I suppose to simulate a building that doesn't call for heating for
this type of situation?

2.  In the 3-D view I have the building modeled exactly the way I need
it to appear except one part of the roof needs to be sloped.  I have
tried the pitched roof and it pitches both ways when I only need it
sloped one way?  How do I make this possible?

Thanks

Christopher Sturdivant

Design Engineer-Mechanical

RMF Engineering, Inc.