[Bldg-sim] [Fwd: RE: Projekt opening problem]

Marlin Addison marlin.addison at doe2.com
Wed Feb 6 08:23:54 PST 2008

The symptoms you describe sound like you may have used eQUEST to open the
project using only the INP file rather than the PD2 file. Normally, you will
have both a PD2 file (contains wizard inputs) and an INP file (a DOE-2.2
file which is what's viewed and edited in eQUEST's Detailed Interface).

To launch eQUEST, I normally double click on the project PD2 file. As a side
note, if you have multiple versions of eQUEST installed, double clicking on
the PD2 file will only launch the last version of eQUEST that ran on your
machine. If you have multiple versions of eQUEST installed on your machine,
be sure to launch the preferred version, e.g., from the Start-> All Programs
menu or a desktop shortcut, etc., then open the preferred PD2 file.

If the only eQUEST project file available is an INP file, this can also be
opened using eQUEST by first launching eQUEST and then from within eQUEST
(via file open) browsing to the INP file. As eQUEST opens the INP file in
this manner, eQUEST will expect to find a PD2 file by the same name as the
INP file in the same folder. If it does not find a PD2 file by the same name
as the INP just opened, the user is prompted to identify some minimum
information, e.g., preferred weather file among other things, which
information is used to create a new PD2 file. A PD2 file created in this
manner will be almost entirely empty, containing no wizard inputs describing
the original project used to create the INP file opened in the first place.
In this situation, the only mode made available is the detailed edit mode.

If you want access to the wizard inputs from your project, you must open the
PD2 used to define the building in the first place. Another side note, if
all you have is a PD2 file (e.g., INP file missing), when you first launch
eQUEST using the PD2 file, eQUEST will look to find an INP file by the same
name, in the same folder. Not finding an INP file with a matching name, the
project will open into the Detailed Interface (eQUEST always opens an
exiting project into the Detailed Interface, never directly into any of the
Wizards) with no project info at all, i.e., all screens in the Detailed
Interface will initially appear blank. In this case, you must go (back) into
the wizard and hit the 'Finish' button to regenerate an INP file which will
then be displayed upon return to the Detailed Interface.