[Bldg-sim] EnergyPlus Node Structure/Diagram

Kristin Field KField at archenergy.com
Tue Feb 12 09:24:56 PST 2008

Tejes,

The I/O Reference can be helpful, but sometimes it's even more helpful to look at the example files (in a folder called "Example Files" that comes w/the EP installation).  You could write the EnergyPlus Yahoo! group, also.  It sounds like you've already looked at the .expidf file, right?  If you haven't, that's the file that contains the objects created by the Compact HVAC object, in all their expanded, noded, looped, branched glory.  It's created automatically when you simulate your .idf file.  I couldn't tell from your email if the problem you were having with Compact HVAC was related to Design Builder or not.  Good luck!

Kristin

Kristin M. Field, EI
Energy Analysis Group
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Ave., Suite 201
Boulder, CO  80301
303.444.4149

>>> "tejes" <sun55 at optusnet.com.au> 2/12/2008 3:48 AM >>>

Hi everyone,

I use Design Builder as an interface to run EnergyPlus. Design Builder uses Compact HVAC to model HVAC system. EnergyPlus takes input data from Design Builder, expands Compact HVAC into an EPlus idf file and runs the simulation. I observed that conversion of Compact HVAC into an Eplus HVAC system is far from being perfect.

I would like to modify the Eplus idf input file to reflect the actual HVAC system. I am experiencing problem in developing node details for the six HVAC loops. I have gone through the input/output reference manual of Eplus. I understand the concept of loop, node & node diagram but find it hard to develop an actual node diagram & input relevant data into an idf file.

Could you please suggest is there any example or literature that demonstrates practically development of node structure and input file for all the six loops?

I would appreciate your help & suggestion.

Thanks

TEJES DAS