[Bldg-sim] Garage Ventilation and LEED Credit EA-1

C. J. Gann cjg04austin at swbell.net
Tue Feb 12 12:55:05 PST 2008

CO is not like CO2, it is deadly. Garage ventilation requirements (0.75
cfm/sf) are based on fresh air change to reduce contaminant levels to
acceptable values. Besides, CO is not the only thing in auto exhaust, there
is NOx, SOx, etc. so you would have to "sense" all these and what if a
sensor fails and the fans do not energize? Seems too dangerous and risky to
me. Efficiency cannot trump life safety. Best to use open walls on two sides
and natural ventilation can replace 100% of the power exhaust requirements,
assuming the structure is above ground that is.

Craig J. Gann. P.E.
www.EnergySimulators.com