[Bldg-sim] 90.1 and infiltration/air-tightness?

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Wed Feb 13 01:23:34 PST 2008

Nick,

Section 5.4.3, Air Leakage, states what parts of the envelope must be
caulked/weatherstripped/etc "to minimize air leakage". It also mentions
that windows & doors must be tested according to NFRC 400, and gives
specific limits of leakage for swinging & revolving doors. But, no
overall number for total infiltration rates.

It sounds to me like infiltration must be the same in both the baseline
and proposed building - appendix G makes no mention of it, and the
entire Performance Rating method requires Section 5.4 to be met, so I
interpret that to mean keeping infil. constant across the models.

J. Cramer Silkworth
silkworth at transsolar.com
+49 0711-67976-182
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH
http://www.transsolar.com
Stuttgart - Munich - New York

Climate Engineering: Technologies for energy-efficiency and user comfort
in buildings.
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH, Curiestrasse 2, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany

Amtsgericht Stuttgart -  HRB 23347 / USt-IdNr.: 99073/00911

Partners: Dipl.Ing. Matthias Schuler, Dipl.Ing. Thomas Auer, Dipl.Phys.
Stefan Holst