[Bldg-sim] comparing insulated core masonry block with stick built

Christian Stalberg cstalberg at southern-energy.com
Thu Jan 17 11:57:04 PST 2008

I'm doing a modeling comparison in REM/Rate of two identical houses except
one has 8" insulated core masonry block walls whereas the second has 4" wood
stud insulated walls. Both walls end up having comparable U values. REM/Rate
shows negligible difference in energy usage. I am suspicious that REM/Rate
does not model the thermal bridging and mass features very well. Would I be
better served performing this comparison in DOE-2 or would the results not
be that much different?