[Bldg-sim] Which LEED with which ASHRAE ?

Leadbetter, Keith kleadbetter at PathfinderEngineers.com
Fri Jan 25 13:45:45 PST 2008

We are currently working on two dorm projects that fall into this gray
area of LEED.

ASHRAE 90.2 is the appropriate standard for these types of buildings.
However, no reference to 90.2 is made in the LEED NC v2.2 manual. We
were told by a LEED NC course instructor that the buildings cannot be
certified under LEED NC v2.2. His reasoning is that since ASHRAE 90.1 is
not applicable, the buildings cannot meet EA prerequisite 2.

Also, the LEED NC v2.2 manual states:

"All commercial buildings, as defined by standard building codes, are
eligible for certification as a LEED for New Construction building.
Commercial occupancies include (but are not limited to) offices, retail
and service establishments, institutional buildings (libraries, schools,
museums, churches, etc.), hotels and residential buildings of four or
more habitable stories."

Most standard building codes define 3 story dorms as residential
buildings.

The owners of our buildings have decided to register the projects in
order to get an official credit interpretation ruling from the USGBC. We
hope to have an official answer within the next few weeks.

Regards,

Keith Leadbetter, PE, LEED(r) AP
Pathfinder Engineers, LLP
3300 Monroe Avenue, Suite 306