[Bldg-sim] Swimming pool modeling

Zarske, Jim jzarske at nexant.com
Wed Jan 30 07:32:57 PST 2008

I cannot comment on Energy+.  However, as far as eQUEST, I've modeled a
natatorium (indoor pool) including the latent load.  In one of the
ASHRAE books, there's a methodology for determining the latent loads of
a pool as a function of activity, water temperature, and I believe a few
other factors.  I ran through these calculations and inputted this load
into the "Internal Energy Sources" under the Equipment internal gains
tab.  I created a schedule based on when the proposed pool cover would
be off (pool in use), and called it a "process" load. I believe I set
the Latent HG ratio to 1.0 and Sensible to 0.

The results of my model seemed to be reasonable.

Maybe with this methodology, it might allow you figure something out
with Energy+; otherwise, eQUEST may be your best, closest approximation,
for this project.