[Bldg-sim] eQUEST Hot Water Heater Appendix G Baseline

Tupper, Kendra Kendra.Tupper at sf.fk.com
Tue Jan 8 15:31:07 PST 2008

Andy,

Did you catch the footnote on the bottom of Table 7.8 that says,
"Instantaneous water heaters with input rates below 200,000 Btu/hr must
comply with [80% thermal efficiency] if the water heater is designed to
heat water to temperatures 180F or higher."?

So, if you're heater does not heat water to 180 F, you can use the EF =
0.62 as your Baseline efficiency in your 90.1 model.  Otherwise, you
must use 80% thermal efficiency as your Baseline.

As far as translating the EF into HIR...

EF include standby losses, while thermal efficiency does not.  In
eQUEST, the HIR does not include standby losses since this is modeled by
specifying the tank volume and UA.  Since the EF of a tankless unit is
essentially zero, it seems perfectly acceptable to model the HIR as 1/EF
and then set the tank volume to zero in eQUEST.

Hope this helps!

Kendra

Kendra Tupper
LEED(r) AP