[Bldg-sim] comparing insulated core masonry block with stick built

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Thu Jan 17 18:50:10 PST 2008

Christian:

If you are interested in seeing the detailed annual energy impacts of
different composite wall constructions in residential buildings, you
might consider modeling this residence using the TREAT software tool
(http://www.treatsoftware.com - free 30 day download), which uses the
SUNREL engine as the basis of 8760 hour whole building energy
calculations. The SUNREL engine is unique among commercially available
energy simulation engines in that it incorporates a one-dimensional
finite difference nodal thermal network model (that's a mouthful) for
calculating wall conduction losses. In this method, there is no need to
calculate custom room weighing factors, etc, (needed in DOE2.x) as
conduction transfer functions are not used.  The SUNREL engine was
specifically designed to accommodate evaluating modeling the effects of
conduction in stud/cavity composite types of wall/roof constructions.
Thermal mass, (thickness, specific heat, density, and conductivity) of
the composite construction is accounted for in gory detail.

Check out the page 14 of the SUNREL Technical Reference Manual for a
visual representation of how composite wall constructions are handled in
TREAT using SUNREL:

http://www.nrel.gov/buildings/sunrel/pdfs/sunrel_tech_ref_30193.pdf

Note that TREAT ships with a standard library of envelope construction
types, (NOT user definable), but I think you will find they meet your
needs.

BEWARE - the current release of TREAT (V3.0.27) cannot be user to
provide a HERS rating, however our next release (targeted spring '08)
will have this capability again.

Happy Modeling!!

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM, LEED AP
Vice President, Research and Development
Performance Systems Development
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
(607)-327-1647 ph
http://psdconsulting.com