[Bldg-sim] Boilers sized by eQuest

Xiang Liu xiang.liu at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 11 16:26:45 PDT 2008

Sizing in eQUEST is always a problem. I ran an office model with a HW loop.
PV-A report calculates the heating capacity of the HW loop to be 0.834
MBtu/h and size each boiler to be 0.417 MBtu/h. However PS-D indicates the
peak load of the loop is 0.4117 MBtu/h, less than the capacity of a single
boiler. This is why one boiler is enough to meet the load.

If we want both boilers to carry similar load, the size of each boiler shall
be 0.206 MBth/h, half of 0.4117 MBtu/h.  The sizing ratio of each boiler
ought to be 0.206/0.834 (HW loop capacity from PV-A report) =0.247.

This change brought similar loads to both boilers and improved their overall
efficiency.