[Bldg-sim] simulation software

Nick Doylend bldg-sim at ndoylend.fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 9 02:38:47 PDT 2008

Apologies for resurrecting this thread!  I've been trying to decide on
simulation software for LEED/ASHRAE 90.1 analyses.  I can't find any
evidence that DOE-2 based tools are requirement for LEED/ASHRAE 90.1
analysis but they seem to be the standard.  I'm concerned about the
likelihood of extra work justifying the use of alternative calculation
tools to third parties who may be unfamiliar with them.

Is there a list of accredited tools for LEED/ASHRAE 90.1, or a list of
software that has been assessed against ASHRAE 140? I've found this
page: (http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/info/qualified_software/),
which lists "Qualified Software for Calculating Commercial Building Tax
Deductions".  Is this relevant - eQuest is conspicuous by its absence.

Am I correct in thinking that both eQuest and Visual DOE are front ends
for DOE-2, and Design Builder is a front end for EnergyPlus.  I thought
EnergyPlus was an evolution of DOE-2, so why are tools continuing to use
the DOE-2 engine?

I appreciate the danger of relying on a graphical front end without a
good understanding of the underlying model description.  What's the
difference between DOE-2 and EnergyPlus in this respect?  How easy is it
to pick through a simulation model from the inside?  This may be quite
important if the front end doesn't provide the flexibility needed - it
may be necessary to go into the guts of the model...

Other things I'm interested include model exchange with other tools such
as Ecotect/Sketchup and CAD, possibly via gbXML import/export.

Training and support is an important consideration - how much of an edge
do commercial interfaces like VisualDOE and Design Builder have, over
software supported on a voluntary basis?  My company is based in the UK,
so local training and support are important - that counts heavily
against VisualDOE and in favour of Design Builder.  Internet mailing
lists are very useful, but there are occasions when a definitive answer
is needed right there and then.  Are there there third parties providing
paid-for support for the free packages?

A lot of questions - any answers, comments and recommendations much
appreciated.

Regards,

Nick Doylend