[Bldg-sim] SIPs with and without weather barrier

Ramana Koti ramana.koti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:58:23 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm using the program WUFI to model moisture behavior in a wall section with
a rain screen, 1" air space and a 6" SIP panel. I'm modeling the SIP panel
as a OSB+EPS+OSB.

The existing design drawings have a Blueskin weather barrier which is both
air and vapor barrier between the air space and SIP panel. I modeled the
assembly with and without the weather barrier and see that moisture behavior
is pretty similar in both cases - it either gradually decreases or
stabilizes across all components/sensor locations. The results seem to point
out that there will be no condensation issues even without the weather
barrier.

Does anybody have any experience with similar issues? How are weather
barriers used in relation to SIP panels generally?

Thanks,

RAMANA KOTI Assoc. ASHRAE LEED(R) AP
Sustainable Building Analyst

ELEMENTS division of BNIM architects