[Bldg-sim] IES<VE> - LEED EAc1 & ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G

Anis Ben Ayed a.benayed at eb-engineers.com
Thu Mar 27 06:56:06 PDT 2008

Hello,

I have been a VE user for about 6 months. I found it very interesting
specially for creating 3D models, SunCast, Load Calculation .etc

Now I'm trying to run simulations for a design case and a baseline case
according to ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G as required by LEED EAc1.

I summarized Appendix G in terms of Envelope, HVAC System, Service Hot Water
System .etc and finally I got a pretty good idea

about what is needed to create a baseline and a design case (Walls, Windows,
Equipment efficiency, Equipment Capacities, sizes .etc).

The problem that I'm having is that I found limited input entries in IES<VE>
to describe what  ASHRAE requires to simulate the building. For example the
water side is

Very limited and controls are not very user-friendly.

Was anyone successful with IES<VE> to work on LEED EAc1 / ASHRAE 90.1-2004
Appendix G? And if the answer is yes how did you go about documenting the
results?

Thanks to all the participants on this mailing list for their support and
good luck.

Best regards,

Anis Ben Ayed, LEEDR AP

Mechanical Engineer