[Bldg-sim] Shading projections-baseline building (LEED)

Kristin Field KField at archenergy.com
Tue Mar 25 13:25:07 PDT 2008

Myrene,

You could consider any shading provided by the balconies as building self-shading, which isn't allowed in the Baseline and is allowed for the Proposed Design.  Whether you call them shading projections or call their shading self-shading, I think they are not allowed in the Baseline and are in the Proposed.  Let me know if anybody disagrees!

Kristin

>>> Myrene Giuliani <mygiuliani at yahoo.com> 3/25/2008 11:24 AM >>>
When constructing the baseline energy model, Appendix
G of ASHRAE 90.1 parameters specify that shading
projections are not to be included for the baseline
model.  My question is, if the design of the building
includes balconies (it's a mid-rise residential
building) would they be considered shading
projections?  My impression is that they are shading
projections, but I would like to confirm before
detailing the energy model.

Thank you,

Myrene Giuliani, LEED AP