[Bldg-sim] Geothermal vs WSHP and cooling tower energy use

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Wed May 14 07:50:56 PDT 2008

In the past week I have been comparing a GSHP to a WLHP system with a
cooling tower system and it seems to me that eQuest is underestimating
cooling tower energy use, particularly fan energy use.  Are there any
resources that explain how eQuest calculates cooling tower energy use, or
has anyone done tests to confirm cooling tower energy use?

I am concerned that the cooling tower allows the fan to operate at below
0.01% of it's design airlfow in a given hour, this means that when there are
low cooling loads, the fan is allowed to short-cycle--a condition not
allowed in the real world.

Karen

Karen Walkerman
Second Law Consulting