[Bldg-sim] Balance point temperature for houses

Michael Blasnik michael.blasnik at verizon.net
Wed May 7 07:27:13 PDT 2008

In my experience from analyzing utility usage data with a floating balance
point, the typical effective heating balance point in US homes will usually be
in the range of 54F - 62F (for true heating climates).  Newer homes are usually
closer to the low end of the scale while older homes are on the higher end.
Electrically heated homes tend to be on the lower end but it's not clear how
much of that difference is the effects of vintage/thermal integrity vs. lower
thermostat set points or zoning.

There may be some published results in ACEEE summer study proceedings, but I
can't recall any specific reference.

Michael Blasnik