[Bldg-sim] Scroll Chiller

W. Peter Anderson panderson at jpengineer.com
Mon May 19 10:38:30 PDT 2008

Not having looked too closely at the options, I would suggest not centrifugal.

Centrifugals are almost always water cooled, have modulating capabilites from10% to 100% capacity, and generally dont go below 200 tons capacity.  They are positive displacment compressors and will follow the "fan laws", meaning there is a cubic relationship between energy used and cooling capacity (tons).  Similar to a centrifugal pump and fan.

Scrolls are (until the very near future) air cooled and on/off control.  They are staged.  You wont see them over about 150 tons total chiller size.  Part load capacity is pretty constant, in terms of kW/ton.  There are usually multiple stages.  At 50% load, half the compressors (therefore power requirement) is used.

Generally speaking, scroll IPLVs run about 1.1 kW/ton
water cooled centrifguals operate at around .50 kW/ton.  But cooling towers need to be added, as well as condenser water pumps.

Lots of variables to consider.

Hope this was helpful.

W. Peter Anderson, P.E
JP Engineering