[Bldg-sim] Vertical butt joint glazing - thermal bridging

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Thu May 15 06:46:10 PDT 2008

Neeraj is correct regarding the size (and aspect ratio) of the pane making a difference. Essentially - the ratio of perimeter to area s a bid riving factor. I think you could arrive at the overall U-value using Window 5.2 by LBNL - it allows for different window sizes, and you can customize your frame conductance.

With regards to frame conductance, most manufacturers will give you those numbers if you ask them - they should have it for butt glazed systems too (I assume you mean structural silicone glazing where the frame is behind the glass).

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
Responsive Design · Technological Expertise · Exceptional Service
www.lordaecksargent.com