[Bldg-sim] Appendix G Baseline System for un-air conditioned zoobuilding

Dan Katzenberger dan at eeEnviro.com
Thu May 15 21:08:57 PDT 2008

Allan,

No.  There are no requirements in ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G for cooling
space thermostat settings; therefore you are allowed to set the cooling
thermostat to any temperature that you choose as long as the settings are
the same for both the baseline and proposed models.  You did not mention
whether or not your models are being used for LEED certification, but this
method of setting cooling thermostat setpoints high enough to eliminate
cooling energy has been accepted by USGBC Energy and Atmosphere TAG and LEED
reviewers on other LEED projects.  Note that this is my personal opinion and
should not be taken as an official ruling from ASHRAE or USGBC.

Dan

Daniel A. Katzenberger, Principal, P.E., CEM, LEED-AP

Certified Energy Star Green Building Engineer
V.P. Minnesota Chapter of the Association of Energy Engineers
Voting Member USGBC Energy and Atmosphere Technical Advisory Group (EA TAG)

Engineering, Energy, and the Environment, LLC
"The Green Group"
420 North 5th Street, Suite 305, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1348
p. (612) 327-4210   f. (612) 338-5280

  _____