[Bldg-sim] Exhaust, outside air and infiltration for LEED

Brandon Nichols bwnichols at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:46:43 PST 2008

My two cents...

The same OSA for baseline vs as-designed makes sense for occupant-required
OSA, such that there is no reward for compromising occupant health to gain
LEED points.

However, that fraction of the fumehood OSA over and above occupancy-required
is *process* OSA, an opportunity where LEED *should *be encouraging
savings.  Now I'm not saying they do, just that they *should...*

And after rereading the requirements it shakes out that LEED really doesn't
give credit for reducing process outside air loads, keep the parametric run
in your model -- the local utility may see things differently, and
'recognize you' with a big fat rebate check.

Cheers

Brandon Nichols
BW Nichols PE
Seattle WA