[Bldg-sim] gains questions

Marcello Caciolo marcello.caciolo at mines-paristech.fr
Mon Nov 17 05:00:19 PST 2008

Hi!

For small power internal gains, a good source for European equipment is
http://www.eu-energystar.org/fr/index.html. There is a database with the
certified power in mode idle, sleep and off of desktop computers, LCD
monitors (it seems that CRD are not any more certified), laptop and
other equipment. If you are interested, I downloaded and processed their
data, and then I can send you an Excel file with these data.

Unfortunately, there is much less information about small power
equipment use…it seems that generally active use of computer is less
than 50 % of the working time, but it is difficult to do
generalizations, due to a very large differences between users and a
general lack of field studies. Actually, I found only a French study
about it, and it is in French.

Another difficulty I found in assessing internal gains due to small
power equipment is that printers are generally very consuming, but I
have few data about the ratio printers/occupants in office buildings and
nothing about their actual use.

As I am very interested to the field, please let me know if you find any
interesting source about the subject! And feel free to contact me
directly if you have any question or comment about what I said!

Best regards,

Marcello CACIOLO

> Hi
> Please excuse me if some of the nomenclature is unfamiliar - I'm from
> the UK!
>
> Q1: I'm used to citing CIBSE as my preferred source of internal gains
> info. However, the information is now a little dated and doesn't even
> cover TFT screens. Is ASHRAE any better in this department? If not, is
> there any reliable source that I can cite for modern desktops, laptops
> and TFT screens?
>
> Q2: As temperature increases the human body gives off less `sensible
> heat' and more latent heat. Can anybody cite any data regarding this
> phenomenon? Again, there used to be a table in CIBSE guide A (1999) but
> it was withdrawn in later versions.
>
> Chris

Marcello CACIOLO

Ingénieur de Recherche
Centre Energétique et Procédés - Mines ParisTech
60, Bd Saint-Michel
75272 Paris Cedex 06 France
Tél : (33)1 40 51 94 19 Fax : (33)1 46 34 24 91
E-mail: marcello.caciolo at ensmp.fr