[Bldg-sim] Ebergy Plus and SketchUp

Kristin Field KField at archenergy.com
Thu Sep 11 11:38:44 PDT 2008

Also, it's important to note that EnergyPlus is not an easy tool to use - it's powerful and flexible, but not easy.  I actually use it quite a bit and like it, but I had some very good engineering teachers.  The SketchUp tool is great, and if you just wanted to do sort of a loads analysis (not looking at the effects of different HVAC systems or controls, just those of layout, constructions, glazing, orientation, etc.), then you could do that within the SketchUp tool with "purchased air" systems.  But once you want to start putting in any HVAC, you should get someone experienced to help you.  Good luck!

Kristin

Kristin M. Field, EI
Energy Analysis Group
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Ave., Suite 201
Boulder, CO  80301
303.444.4149

>>> "Mostapha Sadeghipour" <sadeghipour at gmail.com> 9/11/2008 12:15 PM >>>
Scot,

If you are not interested in the most accurate results, and you want to use it during the conceptual design period in a comparative method, I think Ecotect could be a good suggestion. The interface is great, and it is specially designed for architects.
Except the CFD simulation other simulation such as Lighting and energy simulation is acceptable. And you can also export the model to other softwares, e.g. EnergyPlus, ESP-r, Radianec, etc.

Best,
Mostapha