[Bldg-sim] Shading from adjacent buildings for LEED

Matutinovic, Luka LMatutinovic at halsall.com
Thu Apr 30 12:24:21 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I assume that neither ASHRAE 90.1 ECB or Appendix G allow you to take
credit for shading due to surrounding buildings.  Can anyone provide a
specific reference to the code or LEED Reference Guide where that is
stated?  I understand the rationale for a single building, but if I'm
working on a campus with single ownership and the buildings have a 30
year contract to be owned and operated, I feel like I should be allowed
to take a credit for reducing the solar heat gains due to adjacent
buildings.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Luka Matutinovic, B.A.Sc., LEED(r) AP

Green Building Consultant