[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 62.1

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Thu Apr 23 09:26:55 PDT 2009

I have asked questions about ASHRAE 62.1 on this list before, and I got
some good guidance.  I am going to try again to see if anybody has any
ideas about my current dilemma.

I am analyzing a circa 1999 dual duct VAV building with ASHRAE 62.1:
2007.  I realize that the building was not, and may not, meet ASHRAE
62.1:2007 requirements, but LEED Existing Buildings wants me to check.

Doing the analysis using the 62.1 spreadsheet, I can get it to pass but
only if I increase the minimum cooling airflow to some conference rooms
to 100% of design.  This basically makes the VAV system into a constant
flow system in those rooms, and could over cool the conference rooms if
they are unoccupied and the lights are off, but it could be OK if the
rooms are full of people and in use.

It occurs to me that a CO2 sensor (demand control ventilation) could be
applied to such an instance, or possibly some sort of "occupancy
control", but I cannot find any discussion of such controls in 62.1.

Question:  Has anyone had a similar problem getting an existing building
to comply with ASHRAE 62.1?  Does anybody have a suggested solution?

NOTE:  I am using 62.1: 2007 by my own choice.  If this is a bad choice,
and I should be using 62.1: 2004 instead, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might be able to offer.

--
Robert P. Wichert, P.Eng.
+1 916 966 9060