[Bldg-sim] boiler curves - HIR-FPLR

James V. Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Mon Aug 10 16:02:36 PDT 2009

Dear Cramer,

20 - 25 years ago I was re-writing the ASEAM code, and did some digging for
DOE boiler part load curves.  More recently, I've used them in Energy Plus
and have shown below the values I use.  No original documentation here, but
this might help...

Also,  I've recently done some analysis of existing building boiler
performance and it seems that the following is true:

*	Older "high mass" / high water volume boilers (think firetube
boilers and the like) tend to have a pretty darn flat efficiency curve
*	Newer "low mass" / low water volume boilers show dramatically lower
efficiency at part loads, similar to the DOE curve above.

If I were modeling an older system or a new system with high water volume
and good turndown, I'd probably use a constant efficiency "curve".  Other
boilers would get a curve that resulted in low part load efficiencies.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504