[Bldg-sim] leed & process loads

James V. Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Fri Aug 21 12:31:10 PDT 2009

Dear Cramer,

A recent LEED Silver project used this explanation:

"Process load is comprised of receptacles and elevators only, and accounts
for slightly less than 17% of the total energy cost.  The receptacle load is
assumed to be 0.75 W/sf throughout, which is consistent with ASHRAE 90.1 and
reflects the tenants' concern for efficient office equipment. The receptacle
loads also use diversity factors that roughly parallel occupancy.  The
elevator energy is derived using actual KW and a diversity schedule that
reflects normal usage patterns.
The Diversity schedules are shown on the accompanying updated "HVAC Data
Summary". These values are based on  actual, designed peak energy use and
appropriate diversity.  Therefore, even though somewhat lower than 25% of
the total energy cost, we are confident that they reflect the actual
situation adequately and should be considered acceptable."

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504