[Bldg-sim] Air leakage, LEED, and Appendix G of ASHRAE 90.1

Paul Grahovac paul.grahovac at prosoco.com
Mon Aug 24 06:55:01 PDT 2009

I am sure there is just as much baseline for air leakage reduction
benefit as there is for the concrete walls and wooden studs that the
User's Manual says can be modeled and their energy savings captured for
inclusion in the overall modeling results.

I cannot accept that the USGBC and ASHRAE can arbitrarily say reduction
in air leakage will not be considered, but that increases in thermal
mass energy-savings from using concrete walls or energy benefits from
using wooden studs will be used to compute building energy performance.
This obviously rewards concrete block producers and wood stud suppliers
and penalizes air barrier suppliers.

I'm reminded of Lord Acton's famous observation:  "Power corrupts, and
absolute power corrupts absolutely."  Fortunately, even the power of
organizations like ASHRAE and USGBC are subject to some ultimate check.
Such organizations are prohibited by law from arbitrary practices that
favor one group over another.  Below are excerpts from the leading
United States Supreme Court case on the subject.

Paul Grahovac, LEED AP

American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Inc. v. Hydrolevel
Corporation,

456 U.S. 556, 102 S.Ct. 1935, 72 L.Ed.2d. 330

(1982), Supreme Court Justice Blackmun, writing for the majority:

"Furthermore, a standard setting organization like ASME can be rife with

opportunities for anti competitive activity. Many of ASME's officials
are

associated with members of the industries regulated by ASME's codes.

Although, undoubtedly, most serve ASME without concern for the interests
of

their corporate employers, some may well view their positions with ASME,
at

least in part, as an opportunity to benefit their employers. When the
great

influence of ASME's reputation is placed at their disposal, the less
altruistic of

ASME's agents have an opportunity to harm their employers' competitors

through manipulation of ASME's codes."

ID.., at 571, 102 S.Ct., at 1946.

In American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the U.S. Supreme Court
affirmed a jury

verdict that awarded treble damages to the company that was injured by
certain members of the

trade organization that had manipulated the trade organization and its
role in the industry to set

standards designed to enrich those members' corporation and diminish the
ability of its

competitors to fairly compete in the marketplace. In deciding to hold
the trade organization

responsible for the actions of its members, the Court explained:

"It is true that imposing liability on ASME's agents themselves will
have some

deterrent effect, because they will know that if they violate antitrust
laws through

their participation in ASME, they risk the consequences of personal
civil liability.

But if, in addition, ASME is civilly liable for the antitrust violations
of its agents

acting with apparent authority, it is much more likely that similar
antitrust

violation will not occur in the future. "Pressure will be brought on the

organization to see to it that its agents abide by the law." United
States v. A&P

Trucking Co., 358 U.S. 121, 126, 79 S.Ct. 203, 207, 3 L.Ed.2d 165
(1958). Only

ASME can take systematic steps to make improper conduct on the part of
all its

agents unlikely, and the possibility of civil liability will inevitably
be a powerful

incentive for ASME to take those steps. Thus, a rule that imposes
liability on the

standard setting organization- which is best situated to prevent
antitrust violations

through the abuse of its reputation-is most faithful to the
congressional intent that

the private right of action deters antitrust violations."

14:., at 572-573, 102 S.Ct., at 1946.