[Bldg-sim] Makkah weather files

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Tue Aug 25 13:44:50 PDT 2009

Hello Sara,

Jeddah is the closest city with a similar climate.  Makkah is only about 70
km inland from Jeddah and at the same latitude.  The annual heating and
cooling degree days (base 18C) for Jeddah are 0 and 3656 respectively, and
for Makkah, are 0 and 4651 respectively.  While the coolest months have very
similar temperatures, the summer months are somewhat warmer in Makkah,
possibly because of being located between two mountain ranges, and thus
explaining the greater number of annual cooling degree days.  The humidity
records show Makkah to have slightly higher DPs in the winter but somewhat
lower DPs in the summer months.

I have generated TMY2 datasets for 6 cities in Saudi Arabia, based on
statistical records covering 25 to 30 years.  I'm not aware of what format
eQuest uses, but if you are willing to use the TMY2 file generated for
Makkah, you are welcome to try it (see the TMY2 attachment.)  Based on the
interchange that's taken place on the BLDG-SIM listserv, I'm guessing that
this may be as reliable information as you will have access to.  You can
find most of the temperature and humidity data that I used as input to the
TMY2 generation model at the web site:  "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca"  For
solar radiation, I used the same values as were available for Jeddah (from
the WMO.)

If you have need for the other cities, they are: Dhahran, Jeddah, Khamis
Mushait, Riyadh (air base), and Tabouk.

You can best view the attached files with Microsoft WordPad.

Best regards,

Larry D.
Larry O. Degelman, P.E., HBDP
Professor Emeritus of Architecture